Summer is coming to a close and the fall season is approaching quicker then some of you would like..
But after a couple of months of heat, and humidity, I’m ready for some cooler breezes and fall leaves..
One of the things I remember from the Falls of my youth, was coming home after school to warm banana bread made by my Momma to snack on..
But nowadays with kids allergies, and celiacs disease, as well as my own slowing metabolism—it’s not so easy to just count on anyone being able to eat bread, banana or otherwise..
So deciding to make both a healthier and gluten free version for anyone to enjoy, both young and old alike was my motivation for the weekend..
Now for the Fall you can make up a tasty and healthy treat for yourself and your family, trust me, cause it is “Definitely Delish”
"Coconut Flour Banana Bread"
4 medium ripe bananas, 3 mashed (about 1 1/4 cups mashed banana),
1 divided in half longwise for the top of the banana bread
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon organic banana extract
1/4 cup unflavored baking protein (whey, brown rice, or other)
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon organic vegetable oil
1/8 truvia brown sugar blend
2 teaspoons stevia sugar substitute
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
Cinnamon sugar for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8x4 inch or 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray..
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer combine ripe bananas, vegetable oil, vanilla and banana extracts; mix until well combined, smooth and creamy..
3. Add in the brown sugar and sugar substitutes, then mix..
4. Next add eggs, one at a time and mix on medium speed until combined..
5. Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl till well combined..
6. With the mixer on medium-low speed, add in the mixed dry ingredients; run mixer again until just combined..
7. Now gently fold in the dark chocolate chips..
8. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Gently add the divided banana on top for decoration and sprinkle the top with a tiny amount of cinnamon sugar..
9. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until tester inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool for 20 minutes, then carefully remove bread from pan using the parchment paper or by gently inverting using a plate or pan and place back on wire rack to cool completely. Cut into 12 or more slices..
For best results, use bananas with lots of brown spots. Alternatively you can roast the bananas in the oven until the skin blackens and the bananas get soft and golden inside (do only 3 this way as the 4th would be to soft to slice and decorate top with)