A sugary sweet treat that would go great with any of my Mediterranean dishes; such as the "Greek Bifteki Meatball Gyros" or "Oven-Roasted Chicken Schwarma"
Try it for yourself today..
"Pistachio Turkish Delights"
2 3/4 cups water
2 1.2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cups cornstarch
1/2 cup pistachios
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp lemon juice
*extra cornstarch and confectioners sugar for coating
1. In a sauce pan mix 21/4 cups water, granulated sugar, and lemon juice. Bring the mixture to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
2. In a bowl combine 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup of cornstarch, and cream of tartar until smooth. Gradually blend the cornstarch mixture into the simmering sugar syrup while stirring with a wire whisk. It will splatter so please be careful.
3. Cook for 1 1/2 hours on medium heat stirring often so it does not burn. Cook until the mixture forms a soft ball or 234 F.
4. Keeps bubbling, then stirring, bubbling and stirring!!
5. Test the mixture by dropping a small amount of mixture into ice water. It should form a ball. When picked out of the ice water and held between two fingers you should be able to form a ball.
6. Stop the cooking process and add the pistachios and mix well.
7. Pour onto a parchment paper or a parchment lined baking pan and let sit for at least 5 hours or overnight.
8. Combine together 1/8 cup of confectioners sugar and 1/2 cup of cornstarch. Dust the top of the Turkish delight then flip over and dust the other side.
9. Cut with a pizza wheel or a knife 1.5 squares and then toss into the confectioners and cornstarch mixture.
Eat and enjoy. Keep in a airtight box and do not keep in the refrigerator.