I love good old fashioned comfort food, the kind that sticks to your ribs and makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside..
A soup, a stew, a pasta; you know, something truly hearty and filling that takes you back to good ol'days of growing up and coming home to Mom cooking in the kitchen..
So after a little thought; and a lot of rummaging thru the pantry and fridge, what I ended up creating was this wonderfully fulfilling and delightfully tasteful "Cabbage Roll Soup"
I find it so tricky photographing a soup or stew like this, everything tends to mush together; but to paraphrase someone from a long long time ago..
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts"
And that's flavor..
Loved it, truly—with each and every mouthful exposing a new hint of taste; from the smoky sweet Paprika, fresh chopped Herbs and mix of delicious Cabbages all the way to the scrumptious blend of wild & brown rices with quinoa, and lean ground beef & pork browned to perfection..
Simmered all of that delectable goodness with some beef broth, vegetable juice and fire roasted diced tomatoes until finally finished—and then, when I didn't think my hunger could hold out any longer, it was time to dig in..
Yum, yum and yum is all I can really say; me and my Baby enjoyed it immensely and she feels that this is one that is definitely destined for the cookbook, for sure..
So perfectly filling and oh so—
"Cabbage Roll Soup"
1 cup of pearl onions (you can use thawed frozen, though I prefer fresh white and gold)
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 pound lean ground beef (if you want meatier, add extra beef and pork—1/4 pound of each)
1/2 pound lean ground pork
3/4 cup uncooked mix of quinoa, brown & long grain rice
1/2 cup or more of carrot bites(nibler) sliced or chopped
1/2 medium head savoy cabbage, chopped (core removed)
1/2 medium sized Cabbage (red, regular or other preferred), chopped (core removed)
3 tablespoons flour
2 (14 oz) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 cups beef broth
1½ cups V8 or other vegetable juice
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
Sea salt and cracked pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, brown pork and beef. Drain any fat..
2. Stir in Garlic, cooking for one minute; then add carrots and pearl onions, stirring for 3 minutes..
3. Stir in chopped cabbage and let cook until slightly softened (about 3 minutes).
4. Sprinkle flour into cabbage mixture and cook an additional 2 minutes.
5. Add all remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and reduced heat to medium low..
6. Cover and simmer on low until rice is fully cooked (about 25-30 minutes)
7. Remove bay leaf, add additional Salt and Pepper to taste and serve garnished with fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley..
1. If you prefer a thinner soup, add more beef broth to reach desired consistency once rice is cooked..
2. If you enjoy spicier, add a pinch of red pepper flakes or dash of cayenne...
3. You can sub in a chopped onion for the pearl onions, as well as adding sliced scallions etc... Feel free to experiment..
4. Serve it with some nice crusty bread
(A French boule, sesame Semolina Italian, or Sourdough-all my favorites), warmed in the oven with butter on the side..